VA » Health Care » North Florida/South Georgia Veterans Health System » Features
North Florida/South Georgia Veterans Health System
- Overcoming challenges through aquatic therapy
- The NF/SGVHS aquatic therapy program is a consult-based whole health therapeutic treatment provided by certified recreation therapists who are also qualified/certified in basic water rescue.
- NF/SGVHS Offers Virtual Book Club
- Veterans interested in participating in a virtual book club can reach out to the NF/SGVHS Library staff for a list which provides contact information for current book club facilitators.
- Veterans Summer Sports Clinic Cycling event
- “The object of the National Veterans Summer Sports Clinic is to get Veterans out and about participating in adaptive sports safely,” said Katie Blunk, Adaptive Sports Coordinator.
- Leading the way to zero patient harm
- “A culture of safety in which employees feel empowered to report patient safety concerns without fear is a practice highly regarded in the health care industry, said David Isaacks, NF/SGVHS Director."
- Veterans encouraged to use VA benefits from FPOW
- “I think that you’d be making a big mistake by not utilizing your VA benefits,” said Former Prisoner of War Veteran Donald Price. “It’s here for us and if you need it, you should be taking advantage of it.”
- Post 9/11 Veterans reflect on their service
- Over the course of her 34-year military career with deployments to Africa, two tours of duty in Iraq and two tours of duty in Afghanistan, Retired Army Veteran Marva Austin remembers the harsh conditions of war.
- The future of medicine is in your genes
- The NF/SGVHS is enrolling Veterans into the Million Veteran Program (MVP), a national research program that studies how differences in genes, lifestyle and military experiences affect Veterans' health and illnesses.
- Painting through the chaos
- For U.S. Air Force Veteran and breast cancer survivor Doreen Patrick, the Creative Arts Therapy painting program gave her an outlet to express her fears, feelings and anxiety.
- Breast Cancer Survivorship Program
- Ongoing education, follow-up, and surveillance by a cancer rehabilitation team are key features of the Breast Cancer Survivorship Program at North Florida/South Georgia Veterans Health System
- New Dementia Screening Shows Promise
- “The new screening has shown to improve patient outcomes without significantly increasing workload & has resulted in a decrease in treatment costs for patients,” said Jocelyn Almazan RN, The Villages Outpatient Clinic.