North Florida/South Georgia Veterans Health System
Qualified professionals are available to answer your questions over the phone. However, this is not an emergency service.
If you have a medical emergency, dial 911.
North Florida/South Georgia TelCare Call Center
Available Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Toll Free: 1-800-988-5641
TelCare is a patient's medical advice line. Our job is to provide quality patient care and customer service. It is a telephone clinic or call center staffed by Registered Nurses and Secretaries to answer medical questions you may have and schedule appointments for selected clinics (Primary Care in Gainesville and Lake City). Many times your health care needs can be taken care of by phone or directed to your primary care provider. Often times, we can save you a trip to the medical center.
Your time is valuable to us. Please call us before coming to the medical center without an appointment. WE CAN HELP!!!
What TelCare Can Do
- Nurses will give you medical advice.
- Make an appointment with your primary care provider for new health concerns that arise between annual appointments (only for Gainesville and Lake City). Additional clinics will be added in the near future.
- Instruct you on what to do if you have a reaction to a medication or food.
- Advise you on urgent care needs.
- Act as a bridge between you and your primary care provider.
- Have your prescription rewritten if the Pharmacy cannot extend it until your next appointment.
- Help you and your family members with concerns about your health.
- Recommend home remedies when appropriate and follow up with you in a day or so to see how you are doing.
What TelCare Cannot Do
- Give lab, x-ray or other special test results. Your provider will give you that information by phone or send you a letter.
- Schedule or cancel routine appointments.
- Transfer calls.
- Request refills from Pharmacy.
- Schedule specialty appointments like cardiology, orthopedics, or audiology.
- Enroll patients into Primary Care.
- Cannot call you back if you do not leave enough information with our administrative staff such as: social security number, name and phone number where you can be reached, and the reason for your call.
- Connect you to your provider or give out their telephone extensions.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I know my doctor will get the message I leave?
The TelCare staff notifies your provider of your call and what action has been taken to resolve an issue. We can also let your provider know about questions that can't be answered or problems that can't be solved. We do this by sending a progress note to your provider which becomes a part of your medical record.
When can I expect a return call?
Within 24 - 48 hours. Urgent or emergent needs within the hour. Give a convenient time to call you back.
Why is the wait so long?
Thirty thousand veterans and some non-veterans call us. Our lines are very busy. Please continue to be patient - we will answer the phone. If you are in the midst of an Emergency, HANG UP AND DIAL 911!!!
Why should I call TelCare?
The TelCare staff may be able to take care of your problems over the phone. You may not have to make a trip to the medical center.
Medicines, tests, and special procedures can be frightening if you don't understand them. You can call TelCare for further explanation. WE CAN HELP!!!
TelCare Call Center After Hours Medical Advice Line (VISN 8 TelCare)
is available evenings (4:00 pm - 8:00 am), weekends, and Federal holidays
Toll Free: 1-877-741-3400
Services include: health care advice and information, emergency cancellation of appointments only, pharmacy issues, patient education and other related services.