North Florida/South Georgia Veterans Health System
National VA Creative Arts Festival Calling all Veteran Artists
The North Florida/ South Georgia Veterans Health System (NF/SGVHS) is now accepting artistic talent submissions for the Local Artist Showcase and National VA Creative Arts Festival.
Submissions will be judged at the local level and this year’s local winners will be featured on the NF/SGVHS Facebook Page. All submissions will also be displayed in NF/SGVHS Artist Showcase in December 2021 at the Malcom Randall and Lake City VA Medical Center libraries. The local NF/SGVHS Artist Showcase and National Creative Arts Festival encourages Veterans to embrace their artistic talents to foster alternative outlets on the road to healing and recovery. Entry for the local and national level is open to all Veterans enrolled for care at the NF/SGVHS.
Entries for art, creative writing, dance, drama, and music can be submitted. ALL SUBMISSIONS MUST BE DIGITAL. Veterans must photograph artwork and/or record LIVE performances for music, drama, and dance categories. Please see below if you are in need of assistance with recording a performance or photographing artwork. When entering, please make sure to read all the division rules for your chosen category/categories. Applicants will also be required to submit an entry form for EACH entry along with a consent form.
Submission Process Information BelowThe deadline for submissions for the local Art Showcase and National Creative Arts Festival is Friday, August 27, 2021.
ALL ENTRIES MUST BE SUBMITTED DIGITALLY. PLEASE SEE YOUR SELECTED CATEGORY FOR ADDITIONAL REMINDERS BEFORE SUBMITTING.
Call the Creative Arts Therapy staff, listed under contacts below, if additional assistance is needed in recording a live performance or photographing artwork; or email NFSGCreativeArts@va.gov
Art• Please use one entry form for EACH piece of artwork.
• All pieces of art must have been created AFTER April 1, 2020.
• It is recommended that all painting, drawings, photographs, graphics, collages and digital art are cropped to show the image only. Please note that reflective surfaces of framed art will distort your image when photographing. It is recommended to photograph your art without glass or plastic over artwork.
• Complete the art entry form with as much detail of medium or materials used as possible.
• All photographs of artwork can be sent to NFSGCreativeArts@va.gov
• Complete art entry form and consent (Only one consent form is required per Veteran).
• Click Here for Art Entry Form
Music, Drama, and Dance Performances• ALL entries must be a recording of a live performance. No voice overs or dubbing allowed.
• Please be mindful that all recordings may not send via email due to large file size. Alternative options should be considered if file size is too large (send a link of your performance using a third party service (Youtube). Please see instructions on how to create an unlisted YouTube link or contact Creative Arts Staff below to assist in recording your performance on a VA approved platform (Doximity, Teams).
• Click Here for Information on how to create an unlisted YouTube Link.
• All recordings of links or files can be emailed to NFSGCreativeArts@va.gov.
• Complete music/drama/dance entry form and consent (Only one consent form is required per Veteran).
• Click here for Music Entry Form Click Here for Drama Entry Form Click Here for Dance Entry Form
Creative Writing• ALL entries must be submitted via email (NFSGCreativeArts@va.gov) in a word document or body of the email. Scans/pictures or PDFs of a creative writing piece will NOT be accepted.
• Complete creative writing entry form and consent (Only one consent form is required per Veteran).
• Click Here for Creative Writing Entry Form
Creative Arts Therapy ContactsPlease submit all entries by email to NFSGCreativeArts@va.gov by Friday, August 27, 2021
If you have any questions related to submissions or the festival and would like to discuss via phone, contact:
Sarah Stephens, MS, ATR-P (Art Therapist), (352)284-1522
Heather Spooner, MA, ATR-BC (Art Therapist), (352)548-3119
Diane Langston, MM, MT-BC (Music Therapist). (352)376-1611 ext 10-5371
Rosimar Hernandez, RDT-BCT, LCAT, LPC (Drama Therapist), (646)753-2202
Tatiana Penagos, MA, MT-BC (Music Therapist), 352-548-6960
The 41st National Veteran Creative Arts Festival will be held in St. Petersburg, Florida from April 18-25, 2022. More information to come on the local Artist Show Case to come.