North Florida/South Georgia Veterans Health System
North Florida/South Georgia Veteran’s Health System Celebrates Nurses Week
The North Florida/South Georgia Veteran’s Health System (NF/SGVHS) is honoring our nurses during Nurses Week May 6-12. The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is the nation’s largest single employer of nurses who are dedicated to saving lives and maintaining the health of our Veterans. Annually, National Nurses Week begins on May 6, marked as Nurse Recognition Day, and ends on May 12, the birthday of Florence Nightingale, founder of nursing as a modern profession. This year’s Nurses Week theme is “Nurses: Trusted to Care” and throughout NF/SGVHS we will pay tribute to our nurses at various events such as awards ceremonies, luncheons, and nurses health fairs.
National Nurses Week is devoted to highlighting the diverse ways in which registered nurses, the largest health care profession, work to improve health care. From bedside nursing in hospitals and long-term care facilities to the halls of research institutions, state legislatures, and Congress, the depth and breadth of the nursing profession is meeting the expanding health care needs of American society and its veterans.
To kick off National Nurses Week NF/SGVHS recognized recipients of the Secretary’s Award for Excellence in Nursing for 2011.The annual Secretary’s Award for Excellence in Nursing is given to individuals who have been nominated by their colleagues for outstanding service to our Veterans and the Department of Veterans Affairs. They have displayed the best characteristics and the highest level of dedication to their profession. Their efforts have made a lasting and positive difference in the lives of our nation’s veterans.
NF/SGVHS Winners of the Secretary’s Award for Excellence in Nursing for 2011:
- Margorie Wilson, Performance Improvement (RN in an expanded role - Gainesville)
- Louise Damon, CBOC Educator/COTR (RN in an expanded role - Lake City)
- Loretta Carson, SICU (RN staff role - Gainesville)
- Linda Wood, 2N/3N (RN staff role - Lake City)
- Leavonies Wilkinson, Primary Care (LPN role - Gainesville)
- April Sherman, CLC 4 (LPN role - Lake City)
- Mildred Ann Jenkins, Supplemental Services (NA/HCT role - Gainesville)
- Donna Fussell, Telemetry (NA/HCT role - Lake City)
Thank you to all our nurses who honor the VA’s mission to care for our Veterans.