North Florida/South Georgia Veterans Health System
Without Compensation (WOC) Employees
A Research Without Compensation (WOC) appointee is an individual who performs research-related duties without any direct monetary compensation from the Department of Veterans Affairs. WOC appointments may be made for up to three years.
Individuals requiring WOC appointments include, but are not limited to, fellows, residents, university employees, other non-VA employees working at the VA, visitors, students, volunteers, visiting scientists who are not compensated by the VA for their employment, and minors over the age of 14 (who may work in non-hazardous areas). A non-VA employee paid through an Intergovernmental Personnel Act (IPA) agreement may need a WOC appointment if s/he plans to work on VA premises, access the VA computer system, or will have access to protected health information.
All necessary WOC application forms can be downloaded from this website (see below). The WOC application also requires completion of mandatory training courses, for which documentation of completion must be provided. Some documents require information from the investigator recruiting the WOC appointee. All applicable documents must be completed, without exception, before a meeting is scheduled with the WOC applicant coordinator, Wanda Thomas, email@example.com. Incomplete document packets will necessitate a second appointment. All applicants must bring two identification documents to this appointment (whether for an initial application or a renewal):
1. Social security card
2. Government issued photo identification (passport or military identification or state driver’s license)
Copies of these documents will not be accepted.
During the meeting with Wanda Thomas, the applicant will be provided guidance to steps needed to complete the WOC application process, including contact with the Human Resource Management Service and VA Security to be fingerprinted. The WOC application process is complete when the applicant receives a PIV card (chip embedded photo-ID card).
Without Compensation (WOC) Appointment
3. OF306 - Declaration for Federal Employment (Not Optional)
4. I-9 Employee Verification Form (NOT OPTIONAL)
Physician Application (Required only if you are a Physician) OR
Nurse Application (Required only if you are a Nurse) AND/OR
Associated Health Occupation Application (Required for any other type of license)
5. Education Verification / Copy of CV/Résumé
6. Copy of Professional License (If Applicable)
Certification of Licensure, Registration, or Bar Membership (VA Form 4682-2) (If Applicable)
8. Valid Visa & I-20/Work ID (Please include any related Non-Citizen documentation)
12. Research Scope of Practice for CPRS Access (Requires only if you will be accessing the Computerized Patient Record System)
14. Animal Contact Health Questionnaire (Requires if you are working on an animal study)
17. Certificates for Completed Trainings (See Item #2 above)
In particular, please note that e-mail communication may not be secure against interception across the Internet. Please do not include sensitive information such as medical records or financial information, drug prescriptions, or your social security number.