A Research Without Compensation (WOC) appointee is an individual who performs research-related duties without any direct monetary compensation from the Department of Veterans Affairs.
Individuals requiring WOC appointments include, but are not limited to, fellows, residents, university employees, other non-VA employees working at the VA, visitors, students, volunteers, visiting scientists who are not compensated by the VA for their employment and minors over the age of 14 (who may work in non-hazardous areas. Hazardous being exposure to radioactive materials, biohazards and acute toxins. Restricted areas include any laboratory or facility designated as BSL-3, aBSL-3 or higher, and Animal Care Service).
Original forms of government issued identification are required for first time applicants and applicants who are renewing their WOC appointments. Please be prepared to present you social security card along with a government issued photo identification document such as; a passport, military identification or state driver's license. Copies of these documents will not be accepted.
There are two types of WOCs:
Without Compensation (WOC) Appointment
3. OF306 - Declaration for Federal Employment (Not Optional)
4. I-9 Employee Verification Form (NOT OPTIONAL)
Physician Application (Required only if you are a Physician) OR
Nurse Application (Required only if you are a Nurse) AND/OR
Associated Health Occupation Application (Required for any other type of license)
5. Education Verification / Copy of CV/Résumé
6. Copy of Professional License (If Applicable)
Certification of Licensure, Registration, or Bar Membership (VA Form 4682-2) (If Applicable)
8. Valid Visa & I-20/Work ID (Please include any related Non-Citizen documentation)
12. Research Scope of Practice for CPRS Access (Requires only if you will be accessing the Computerized Patient Record System)
14. Animal Contact Health Questionnaire (Requires if you are working on an animal study)
17. Certificates for Completed Trainings (See Item #2 above)
In particular, please note that e-mail communication may not be secure against interception across the Internet. Please do not include sensitive information such as medical records or financial information, drug prescriptions, or your social security number.